Armodafinil is the enantiopure form of the wakefulness-inducing medication modafinil (Provigil), and it is prescribed to adult patients who suffer from narcolepsy, shift work disorder, or obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
Armodafinil lessens the excessive drowsiness brought on by narcolepsy and other sleep disorders, such as stopping breathing for brief periods while sleeping (obstructive sleep apnea). If your work schedule prevents you from maintaining a regular sleep schedule, it can also be employed to keep you awake while working (shift work sleep disorder). This drug cannot cure these sleep disorders and might not completely fix your excessive sleepiness.
Lack of sleep cannot be made up for with armodafinil. It shouldn’t be used on people who don’t have a sleep issue to cure exhaustion or put off going to bed. Armodafinil’s mechanism of action for promoting sleep is unknown. It is believed to function by influencing specific brain chemicals that regulate the cycle of sleep and wakefulness.
It is available as oral tablets with a strength of 150mg under the name of Wakalert.
- Less likely to be abused compared to amphetamine stimulants
- Your provider can prescribe refills, unlike other controlled stimulant medications
- Available as generic, which can be more affordable
- It can interact with other medications, including hormonal birth control
- Not proven to be safe or effective for children aged 16 or younger
- Older adults and people with severe liver problems might need a lower dose
Reasons for prescribing :
Armodafinil is a drug used to treat narcolepsy and shift work sleep disorder, two conditions characterized by persistent morning drowsiness.
Armodafinil is also used with breathing apparatuses or other therapies to avoid the excessive sleepiness caused by obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome. This is done to combat Obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome, A sleep distress in which the person halts breathing for brief periods or breathes very superficially many times during sleep, so they don’t get enough restorative sleep. Armodafinil belongs to a class of medications that promote alertness. The brain region that regulates the sleep cycle is impacted, and as a result, the concentrations of a few naturally occurring compounds are altered.
Correct Way to use Armodafinil
For narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea, take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually beginning of each day. If you are using armodafinil for shift work sleep disorder, take it as directed by your doctor, usually once a day an hour before you start your work shift. You may take this medication with or without food, but armodafinil may take longer to work if you take it with food.
If you are using this drug for sleep apnea, continue your other treatment (such as the CPAP machine or mouth device) unless your doctor tells you to stop. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it.
It’s possible that taking armodafinil will turn into a habit. Do not take the drug in a larger quantity, more frequently, or for an extended period than your physician has advised.
Armodafinil can make you feel less sleepy, but it cannot treat the underlying cause of your sleep problems. Even after feeling rested, maintain taking armodafinil. Only cease taking armodafinil after first discussing this decision with your physician.
It is not recommended to take modafinil rather than get the required sleep. Follow the advice that your physician gives you regarding healthy sleeping habits. If you have been diagnosed with OSAHS, you must keep using any breathing aids or other treatments that your physician has prescribed.
This medication’s recommended dosage must be individualized for each patient. Pay attention to the instructions provided by either your physician or the label. Only the standard doses of this drug are discussed in the following paragraphs. If your current amount differs from the one advised, you should only make adjustments if your healthcare provider specifically instructed you to do so.
The medication’s potency should be considered while determining the appropriate dosage. In addition, the health problem for which you are taking the drug will determine the total number of daily dosages, the amount of time that should pass in between doses, and the total amount of time you will be on treatment.
Adults suffering from obstructive sleep apnea or narcolepsy should take between 150 and 250 milligrams of the oral tablet version of the medication once daily, preferably in the morning.
For children, the appropriate use and dosage should be determined by your pediatrician.
Adults suffering from shiftwork sleep disorder should take 150 milligrams (mg) of the prescribed medicine one hour before beginning their shifts.
Children: The appropriate use and dose should be determined by your pediatrician.
If you forget to take a dose of this medication, take it as soon as you realize it. If the time for your next dose is getting close, you should skip the one you missed and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Take both doses at different times.
- Tell your doctor immediately if you have any drug allergies, including modafinil (Provigil).
- Inform your doctor and pharmacist about all prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, dietary supplements, and herbal products you are taking or intend to use. Anticoagulants, diazepam, erythromycin, ketoconazole, and several medications for seizures, including carbamazepine, and monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors, should all be mentioned. Your physician might need to adjust the dosage of your drugs or keep a close eye on you for adverse effects. Inform your doctor about your medicines since many other medications may also interact with armodafinil.
- Inform your physician if you currently use or have previously used excessive amounts of street drugs, alcohol, or prescription medications. A heart attack, chest pain, high blood pressure, a mental condition such as psychosis, frenzy, or a frantic, excessively agitated mood; You should also let your doctor know if you have any problems with your ability to think clearly, communicate, comprehend realities, or behave appropriately. It would be best if you also informed me about any cardiac, hepatic, or renal diseases.
- You should be aware that hormonal contraceptives may become less effective after taking armodafinil (tablets, rings, patches, implants, shots, and intrauterine devices for birth control). While using armodafinil and for a month after stopping, use another method of birth control. Discuss with your doctor the birth control methods that will be effective for you throughout your armodafinil therapy.
- If you are pregnant, trying to conceive, or currently breastfeeding, you should let your doctor know. If you get impregnated while taking armodafinil, contact your doctor right away.
- Inform the surgeon or dentist that you take armodafinil if you have dental surgery.
- You should be aware that armodafinil may impair your decision-making, reasoning, and movement and that it might not entirely alleviate the sleepiness brought on by your disorder. Before understanding how this drug affects you, avoid using machinery or driving a car. Even if you feel more alert, avoid driving and other risky activities if you prevent them due to your sleep disorder without consulting your doctor.
- Be informed that while using this medication, you should refrain from consuming alcohol.